This Long Weekend, we’ve pulled together some of our favourite family recipes, inspired by lazy mornings on the deck, with the sun shining through the gum trees, and starry nights looking over the strawberry fields…this is the stuff long weekend dreams, and Australia, are made of.
Whether you’re heading for the hills and planning the perfect picnic, or you simply want to linger over scrumptious morsels at a long lunch in your backyard, we’ve got your menu sorted.
So go on, grab your nearest and dearest and indulge in lip-smacking wholesome deliciousness and good conversation. Here’s everything you need for a delicious long weekend spread…
Halloumi and Pancetta Sticks
Makes: 12 sticks
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 12 bamboo sticks, approximately 115cm long
- 350g halloumi
- 12 large sage leaves
- 12 thin slices flat pancetta
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Beerenberg Orange Marmalade
- 2 tbsp Beerenberg Bavarian Mustard
- 3 tbsp Beerenberg Worcestershire Sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Soak the bamboo sticks in cold water for a few minutes while preparing the cheese.
- Cut the halloumi into even sized sticks, approximately 2 x 8cm.
- Place one sage leaf onto each halloumi stick and wrap with one slice of pancetta.
- Insert a bamboo stick into the end of the cheese. Repeat and place the sticks onto the baking tray.
- When ready to serve, cook in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until soft and golden.
- In a saucepan, combine the Orange Marmalade, Bavarian Mustard, Worcestershire Sauce and lemon juice. Heat gently to combine.
- Brush the hot halloumi sticks with the sauce and serve with extra sauce on the side.
Greek Style Lamb Pocket Breads with Garlic Yoghurt Sauce
Preparation: 30 mins
Cooking time: 4.5 hours
- 10 pocket breads (supermarket bought)
- Lamb shoulder, cooked and pulled (see recipe here )
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers, shaved
- 1 bunch mint, leaves picked from the stem
- 1 Iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 bottle Beerenberg Garlic Sauce
Top tip: For picnic-perfect food, prepare the lamb ahead of time and take the components for everyone to construct their own pocket breads
- Alternatively, prepare the pocket breads by filling each half with a lettuce leaf, pulled lamb and cucumber. Drizzle generously with garlic sauce and scatter with mint leaves.
- Serve prepared pockets in a basket for all to enjoy.
Quick tip: Fill a squeezy bottle with Garlic Sauce – it’ll make it so much easier.
Strawberry and Watermelon Salad
Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking time: 3 mins
- ¼ watermelon, cut into medium size cubes
- 500g strawberries, hulled and halved
- ½ jar Beerenberg Red Currant Jelly or Quince Jelly
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- Salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Small fresh basil leaves
- Place the watermelon and strawberries in a large serving bowl.
- Put the Red Currant Jelly, red wine vinegar, grated ginger into a saucepan and heat gently until the jelly dissolves. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, dress the salad with the dressing, scatter with basil leaves and serve.
For a glamorous touch, garnish with additional whole strawberries on the stem and a strawberry flower if available.
The Long Weekend is a much-loved time of the year here at the Beerenberg Family Farm.
From our first batch of strawberry jam made in 1970 to today, the long weekend has held a special place in our family’s heart. We hope that these recipes will hold a special place in yours.
Love this Long Weekend menu? Download our free 100 Long Weekend Recipe Book featuring categories: Breakfast in Bed, Brunch, Family Picnic, Long Lunch, Kids in the Kitchen, Afternoon Tea, Ultimate Cheeseboard, Cocktail Party, Dinner Part, and Dessert Heaven here.
Each recipe has been created in the Adelaide Hills, from our family farm to your family table.