Whether it’s the simplicity of two slices of bread, butter and a filling, the fact you can have them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and even dessert), or that the thought of ooey-gooey melted cheese can make anyone salivate… but, no matter what the secret ingredient is, toasted sandwiches rock!
They are a quintessential camping staple, the ideal morning grab and run eat-in-the-car snack, pack and toast at work lunch, and even a gourmet stylish Sunday night meal matched with the perfect wine.
Some call them Toasties, but they are also fondly known as a Jaffle, Croque Monsieur, Grilled Cheese or simply a Melt. Whatever you call them, at Beerenberg we make dozens upon dozens of chutneys, relishes, sauces, jams and condiments that go 100% amazingly with the toasted sandwich.
We had our team scour Pinterest for inspiration and here are our
Top 10 Weird, Wonderful and Winning Toasties
Most versions of the cheese toastie have cheese on the inside, but this version includes cheese on the inside and on the outside. After all, more cheese is always better right? If you think about it, French onion soup is practically a bowl of onion gravy topped with grilled cheese. So, it seems like a completely natural choice to create a French onion grilled cheese sandwich. Use Beerenberg Caramelised Onion Relish.Ingredients:
4 slices of sourdough
4 tbs butter, melted
Pinch of dried thyme
Pinch of dried rosemary
200g grated cheddar cheese
200g grated gruyere cheese
Jar Beerenberg Caramelised Onion Relish
1. Mix melted butter, rosemary, and thyme. Brush onto one side of each slice of bread.
2. Place two slices butter-side-down in an oven safe frying pan. Spread a generous layer of Beerenberg Caramelised Onion Relish and top with cheddar cheese. Place the remaining two slices of bread on top butter-side-up.
3. Put the frying pan on medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes or until the bottom is golden and tasty.
4. Set your oven to grill and place your frying pan in the oven. Grill for 2-3 minutes or until top piece of bread is nice and golden. Remove pan from the oven and sprinkle the tops with gruyere cheese.
5. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
6. Remove from the oven and serve with fresh rosemary or thyme and serve hot!
Nothing beats a great steak sandwich! This recipe has a Korean styled twist with a delicious gochujang aioli. Loaded with Beerenberg Caramelised Onion Relish, juicy steak, fresh rocket, and plenty of cheese all wrapped up in a package – this toastie is sure to be a winner!
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
2 cloves Garlic
1 1/2tbs Gochujang Korean red pepper paste
1 tbsp Vegetable oil
1/8 cup Coriander
1/2 tsp White Rice vinegar
500g Steak of choice
3 Ciabatta rolls
6 slices Provolone Cheese
3 handfuls rocket
Beerenberg Caramelised Onion Relish
Salt and Pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C
2. Combine gochujang aioli ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth (you can also use an immersion blender.) Set aside in refrigerator.
3. Drizzle steak with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook steak to your liking and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
4. Cut ciabatta rolls in half, brush with olive oil and toast in oven for 10 minutes
5. Distribute steak evenly on bottom half of the rolls. Top steak with cheese and put back in the oven for about 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven.
6. Spread gochujang aioli on top bun of sandwiches. Top sauce with Beerenberg Caramelised Onion Relish and rocket. Place over bottom bun and serve!
Beerenberg Balsamic Beetroot Relish and Beerenberg Chilli Jam). This toastie is snack time royalty.
4 slices of thick cut bread
2-4 slices of ham
50g blue cheese crumbled
50g cheddar cheese grated
Beerenberg Balsamic Beetroot Relish
Beerenberg Chilli Jam
1. Butter one slide of each slice of bread
2. Spread half the un-buttered sides with a generous amount of Beerenberg Balsamic Beetroot Relish and the other half with Beerenberg Chilli Jam.
3. Top Beetroot relish sides with sliced ham. Combine the two cheeses and divide equally between the two sandwiches.
4. Place the chilli jam slices butter side up and cook the sandwiches in a sandwich press until golden brown on the outside and cheese has melted.
Who says toasties can only be made with sliced bread? This recipe has a fun twist on a cheese toastie – taking it to the next level with Beerenberg Mango Chutney, delicious spices and two types of cheese!Ingredients:
50g cheddar cheese, grated
50g mozzarella cheese, grated
3 spring onions sliced thin
1 small green chilli sliced thin (optional)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbs fresh coriander, chopped
1 large round naan bread (fresh or store bought)
1 tbs Beerenberg Mango Chutney
1. In a bowl, mix both cheeses, spring onion, chilli, cumin seeds and coriander.
2.Cut the naan in half down the centre. Spread one half with Beerenberg Mango Chutney and top with the cheese mixture. Cover with the other half of the naan.
3. Cook in a sandwich press until golden and cheese has melted. Serve with extra chutney.
This wickedly delicious toastie combines chocolate, mascarpone and Beerenberg Australian Orange Marmalade.
1 tbs Beerenberg Australian Orange Marmalade
1 tbs butter
4 slices brioche bread
200g dark chocolate, chopped
1. Combine Beerenberg Australian Orange Marmalade and mascarpone.
2. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place 2 slices, buttered side down on work surface. Spread mascarpone and marmalade mix on bread and sprinkle with chocolate.
3. Top with remaining slices of bread, buttered side up.
4. Cook in a jaffle maker until golden brown and chocolate has melted. When done, remove and let cool 2-3 minutes.
Beerenberg Sweet Chilli Relish
2 spring onions
160g raw peeled prawns
2cm piece of ginger
1/2 tbs soy sauce
4 slices of white bread
2 tbs sesame seeds
1 tbs Beerenberg Sweet Chilli Relish
1. On a large board, trim the spring onions, then finely chop with most of the prawns (save four for later).
2. Peel and finely grate over the ginger, add the soy and the egg yolk (reserving the white), then chop and mix it all together. Divide and spread the filling between two slices of bread, then sandwich the other slices on top.
3. Brush both sides of each sandwich with the egg white, pat on the sesame seeds, then halve the remaining prawns and press into the bread on one side only.
4. Place in your toastie machine for 3 minutes until golden and cooked through. Slice and serve with Beerenberg Sweet Chilli Relish for dipping, or you could even brush the relish over your toastie for even more flavour!
Enjoy the delicious taste of Christmas whenever you like with this showstopping toastie! Create this masterpiece by mixing Beerenberg Cranberry Sauce and Beerenberg BBQ Onion Mustard to create this masterpiece.
4 slices sourdough bread
180g sliced turkey
4 slices of cheese (cheddar, swiss, brie or any meltable favourite)
1/2 cup Beerenberg Cranberry Sauce
3-4 tbs Beerenberg BBQ Onion Mustard
1. Mix Beerenberg Cranberry Sauce and Beerenberg BBQ Onion Mustard together
2. Spread cranberry and mustard sauce generously on all 4 slices of bread.
3. Layer two slices of bread with turkey and cheese of choice. Top with the other slice of bread.
4. Cook in a sandwich press until golden and cheese has melted.
This is a seriously impressive grilled cheese sandwich! Loaded with delicious Greek style chicken, plenty of delicious salad and finished with Beerenberg Australian Garlic Sauce.
2 slices of bread
1/2 cup grated cheese
¼ cup chicken souvlaki
2 tbs feta
2 tbs tomato, sliced or diced
2 tbs cucumber sliced or diced
Red onion sliced
1 tbs Beerenberg Australian Garlic Sauce
1. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Top unbuttered slide with half the cheese, chicken souvlaki, feta, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, Beerenberg Australian Garlic Sauce, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread with buttered side up.
2. Cook in a sandwich press until golden and cheese has melted.
This Chipotle Chicken Toastie is perfect for a cold day and is a great way to use up leftover roast chicken! A secret tip for making toasties super crunchy is to spread mayonnaise on the outside of the bread too!
1 tbs Beerenberg Chipotle & Maple Sauce
1 tbs mayonnaise (plus extra if you want to layer the outsides for a crunchy finish)
2 slices sourdough bread
2-4 slices cheddar cheese
1/2 cup roasted chicken
1/2 tomato sliced thin
2 rashers bacon, cooked
1. Mix Beerenberg Chipotle & Maple Sauce and mayonnaise in a small bowl
2. Evenly spread mixture on both slices of bread
3. Add half the cheese to one side of the bread. Top with cooked chicken, sliced tomato, bacon and remaining cheese. Finish with the other slice of bread mayonnaise side down.
4. Cook in a sandwich press until golden and cheese has melted.
Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it – this combination is sensational! Beerenberg Apricot Jam is perfectly sweet and tangy, mixed with a creamy rich brie and when melted together the inside becomes a gooey sensation that’ll have you savouring every bite.
4 slices brioche bread
2 tbs garlic butter
3-4tbs Beerenberg Australian Apricot Jam
115g Brie cheese, rind removed
1. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
2. Divide Beerenberg Australian Apricot Jam evenly between the un-buttered sides of two slices of bread and top with cheese.
3. Cook in a sandwich press until golden and cheese has melted.
This is an is easy to make, delicious sandwich and the pine nuts are a great addition. The spices and herbs are added last to keep things fresh. We have taken inspiration from. This recipe from Darren Purchese's cookbook, Chefs Eat Toasties Too, however, if you have left over Beerenberg Slow Cooker Moroccan Lamb it also makes for an incredible toasted sandwich.
What's your favourite toasted sandwich? Join the Beerenberg Appreciation Society Facebook Group and share.