- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 50g butter, melted
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ¾ cup fine polenta
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, approx 2 cobs
- ½ cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1 medium red chilli, seeds removed and sliced
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chorizo, sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 400g cannellini beans, drained
- 1 jar Beerenberg Tomato and Cracked Pepper Relish
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp Beerenberg Worcestershire Sauce
- Handful fresh basil and parsley leaves
To start, make the corn bread.
Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
In a large bowl, whisk the buttermilk, eggs and butter together.
Add the flour, polenta and baking powder to the bowl.
Mix together to combine.
Stir in the corn kernels, cheese, chilli and herbs.
Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
In the meantime, make the baked beans.
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the sliced chorizo and onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the beans, Tomato and Cracked Pepper Relish, water and Worcestershire Sauce. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve in a bowl with fresh herbs and a side dish of extra chutney.
Serving suggestion: Serve with extra poached or fried eggs.