- 1 lamb shoulder, on the bone (approx 2kg)
- 2 medium brown onions, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jar Beerenberg Caramelised Onion
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 12 fresh dates, halved and stone removed
- 75g walnut halves
- 125ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 tbsp mint, chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
Preheat the oven to 140°C.
Line a medium size oven proof roasting pan with baking paper.
Add onions, garlic and lamb shoulder, pour over the Caramelised Onion and soy sauce.
Cover the lamb with baking paper and then foil, seal tightly.
Braise lamb in the oven for 4 hours.
After 4 hours the meat should be tender and just about to fall off the bone.
Add the dates and return to the oven uncovered.
Increase the oven temperature to 160°C and allow the lamb to brown for a further 30 minutes.
Gently lift the lamb shoulder, onions and dates onto a serving platter.
Squeeze some lemon juice over the lamb then sprinkle with chopped herbs, spring onions, walnuts, lemon zest and pomegranate seeds.
Sauce can be strained with fat removed and served in a jug beside the lamb.